The MMP experience
As part of our mission to help our guests discover the nature and culture of this beautiful part of the Island, we offer “The MMP experience” to all of our overnight guests. The “MMP experience” is a programme of tailor made activities that is included in your room price. It offers you a daily programme from which you can select those activities that appeal to you – that is, if you do not want to simply enjoy the natural environment of our plantation on your own.
At the heart of the programme are a number of unique participative activities that reveal a particular part of North Bali’s hill station culture. These include:
- A workshop where you will learn to make local Balinese offerings from flowers, plants and bamboo;
- A traditional coffee processing (and tasting!) demonstration which explains how coffee is grown, harvested, dried, cleaned, ground and prepared in the traditional manner – obviously using our own robusta and Arabica coffee;
- A Balinese kite making (and flying) class – kiting is a serious activity in many parts of Asia and is still one of the main sports in the Bali hills;
- A workshop explaining Balinese attire and how to wear it –for men this includes wearing the sarong, saput and udeng, for ladies the sarong and the Balinese wrap around scarf. You’ll learn about the function of different clothes and have fun trying them on;
- A spinning top workshop which explores this traditional sport and lets you have a chance to play it with our staff;
- Playing the gamelan: you hear the sound of the gamelan everywhere on the Island, but how do you actually play it? We have a number of bamboo gamelans at the plantation as well as a talented teacher to help you getting started;
The programme varies every day and we typically try to schedule a late morning and early afternoon activity.
Depending on occupancy, we extend the programme further by including activities such as Basic Balinese wood carving and gamelan making.
On Sunday afternoons you can observe our own traditional Balinese dance class – we provide training and attire for the local girls who find this activity very attractive (we have some 60 pupils). It is followed by an English class for the kids. The dancers best get to perform in our restaurant from time to time.
In addition to the activities, we have a guided morning trek on the plantation of about 45 minutes at which our guides explain the many flowers, plants and crops and take you to our vegetable garden, one of our garden temples, our forest area and a spring. The route varies every day and can be adapted to your wishes and levels of fitness.
For those of you who would like to visit Bali’s central lakes – which are actually the calderas of extinct volcanoes – and the Munduk waterfall or alternatively, the famous Ulun Danu temple, the Botanical Garden or the local market at Candikuning, there are two shuttle services to these nearby locations which leave in the morning. This gives you a chance to explore our very interesting neighborhood.
In the afternoon we serve afternoon tea and coffee with homemade Balinese cake at our pool side.
In the late afternoon and evening we have a movie programme in our upstairs lounge; first for kids (at 17.30) and then for adults (at 21.00) where we show some of the best nature productions made in the past years on a big screen.
Meanwhile, outdoors, we light a bonfire – sitting around the fire with a drink, listening to the cicadas and looking at the distant lights near the shoreline and the impressive night sky filled with countless stars is truly one of the best experiences you can have at MMP.
The “MMP experience” provides you with a menu of choices that will make your stay more fulfilling and it complements the wide variety of facilities and activities that we also offer to all our guests.
The attached programme click here for a typical week helps you visualize what the “MMP experience” looks like – you’ll receive the daily programme every evening in your room to help you make your choices for the coming day.